Plan Like a Pro for Traveling with Cats or Dogs
Whether your furry friend is ready to earn some frequent flyer miles or unwind at a beachside resort, traveling with dogs or cats can be a blast for the whole family. With the right preparation, that is!
As more pet parents choose to bring their beloved dogs and cats along when traveling, more airlines, hotels, and even train services are revisiting their pet policies. A vacation with your pet can reduce the worry of leaving them home alone, but it can also create some new challenges.
If you’re planning on bringing your pet along on your next vacation, use these pro tips to help prepare in advance and reduce the stress of pet transport while traveling.
Prepare a Cat-Minded or Pup-Friendly Packing List
The amount of luggage pets need often shocks pet parents. To make things easier, give yourself plenty of time to plan and pack. Make a list of what you can pack in advance and which items you’ll need to pack the morning you leave.
Whether you’re flying or driving, you’ll want to bring these basic supplies when traveling with dogs or cats:
- Vet records
- A dog/cat bed
- Their favorite toys/blankies
- Any medications and supplements your pet may need
- Plenty of cat and dog treats
- A collapsible water bowl
- A water bottle for refilling the water bowl
- A first-aid kit
- Photos of your pet (in case they get lost)
- Grooming supplies
- Paperwork required for your airline. You can research the best airlines for pet travel.
Just for Cats
- When traveling with cats, packing canned cuisine can help keep your luggage tidy and provide your cat with a trip’s worth of delicious meals. Our Savory Seafood, Chicken and Beef Dinner, and Premium Feast Dinner all come in single-serving, easy open, 3-ounce portions—the perfect size for travel without refrigerating!
- Scratching board
- Litter and disposable litterbox
Just for Dogs
- Pack plenty of your dog’s food. We suggest at least a one-week surplus just in case. Make sure to keep it in an airtight container so it stays fresh and tasty! PetGuard wet entrees all come with a pop top lid, making for easy travel without a can opener.
- Weather-appropriate supplies: zinc-free sunblock, sweaters, towels (as needed)
- An extra leash
- Waste bags
Get Ready for the Trip of a Lifetime!
Cut down on the stress of pet transport by using a packing list and obtaining all the necessary supplies well in advance of your trip. With everything packed and organized ahead of time, you’ll be well on your way to a stress-free vacation when traveling with dogs or cats!
Catch all of our pet care tips and latest promotions by joining our free PetGuardian family today. Stay tuned for our next post with all of our tricks for being on the road (or in the air) with your pet.